Romans 15:4-6, 13

"For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Risen.

So this morning I woke up way before my alarm. I hate when that happens. Only because I like my sleep. But that's beside the point. I was slightly in a bad mood when I got up this morning, only because I was extremely tired. But as I started getting ready for church, I began to think about things.

Halfway through the process of getting ready, I realized that the event that this day symbolizes and represents is exactly why my faith is even possible. I kept that little thought to myself and proceeded to finish getting ready for my day.

I arrived at church and I had a truly wonderful time of fellowship. I taught the elementary age Sunday school class and then I went to the main service. Oh what sweet words were said by my pastor. He said exactly what my thought had been! He said that the event that today represents is exactly why our faith is so set apart. He said, "If Christ hasn't raised, Christianity is reduced down to every other religion whose leader is dead." Mmm. Such truth to those words! If Christ had not raised, as Paul tells us in I Corinthians 15, we should be pitied more than anyone else! If Christ had not raised, we would be buying into a bigger lie than any other religion. If Christ had not raised, we would have no hope in anything.

A few weeks ago, my friend Anthony preached at our church. He said, "I love the 'buts' of the Bible." In I Corinthians 15, Paul is making a case for how sad it would be and how horrible it would be for Christians if Christ had not raised. Then that wonderful, wonderful verse comes in, I Corinthians 15:20, "But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep."

Just think on that verse for a moment before going on.

Does it bring relief to your soul? Does it let your heart release a sigh? I know when I read this verse, I feel a sudden burden lifted off of me. I have no need to fear the reality of Christ's resurrection. Paul has confirmed it time and time again. Christ has raised from the dead. My faith is established and authentic and worthwhile. More than worthwhile. Precious.

And it is this very faith that drives my heart every time I think of what I am going to do with my life. It is this faith that presses on me again and again that Christ needs to be taken where nobody has heard His name. It is this very faith that allows me to say, "God will provide whether that be through bringing me home safe or allowing my death to be my witness to others." It is this very faith that pushes me to strive my best each day to learn more and more about my faith and my God and my desires. This faith alone.

I Corinthians 15:58 says, "Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." Today in church, we centralized on that verse. My pastor said that this verse is "a direct call for resolve and ambition." This verse should push us to be living constantly with the fact in mind that "Jesus is alive!" And that very fact should drive our decisions whether they be about money, children, family, interaction with people, involvement in church, or anything we encounter, really. If we are not living by this fact, what are we living by? Whatever is the most important thing in our lives drives our decisions. I can speak only for myself when I say I want so desperately for Jesus' conquering over death and His current life to be my driving force.

Prayer Requests:
*Team building
*Southeast Asia trip
*Perseverance in classes

No comments: